Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Custom Wedding Invitations

I love designing and  making custom wedding invitations for people.  Taking their thoughts and ideas and putting them together to create the perfect reflection of them and their special day.

My latest 'Bride to be' came to me with a color scheme of red and turquoise, and a damask pattern that she wanted to incorporate into the wedding.

Trying to find a damask patterned card stock in red was difficult and led me to investigate digital papers that I had seen Etsy.  It was amazing all of the patterns and colors available in digital paper, and it didn't take long for me to find the perfect pattern for the invitations.

The bonus of using a digital paper is that you get to print as many or few copies as you need. The added bonus was that a local printers had a special offer of 25 cents per copy for all printing in February, so I took advantage of that great deal and stocked up on plenty of copies to make all the stationery from.

After making up a couple of different styles, one design was chosen, and then the task of reproducing it 75 times, along with RSVP cards, thank you cards, place cards and cupcake toppers!

For some fun we incorporated a little cupcake image onto each of the invitations and also on the outer envelopes to tie in the theme of 'Love is Sweet'

I found the perfect rubber stamp, and so set to work stamping the image onto each of the invitations and envelopes.  I like to work in a production line format, and so in the end my desk was covered in invitations, which added up to a whopping 450 cupcakes on my work desk!

The contrast between the red damask pattern and the turquoise card looked great and really went well together.


I believe that the wedding invitations set the scene for the wedding itself and give the guests a clue as to what the wedding will be like.  Its also important to have elements of the design run through all of the other items for the wedding stationery, and so the color combination is being used in the table place cards, thank you cards, cupcake toppers and a special banner for the candy buffet table!

I always hand write the addresses on the outer envelopes, and used a red calligraphy pen to coordinate with the font chosen by the bride.  With a little work on word I managed to create some fun return address labels using the same damask pattern and fonts as the invitations.  This helped to tie everything together perfectly.  The finishing touch was getting some great stamps from the post office that matched the whole theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment